Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Earthquake

At around one in the morning the walls is my room began to tremble and the mattress was sliding off my bed as I was laying on it and reading. My whole room was shaking. This morning one of my flatmates told me that he thought that our building may collapse, or at least the top floors. We live on the top floor. I am glad that I didn't have this conversation with him last night.

The tremor was felt in Newcastle, Yorkshire, London, Cumbria, the Midlands, Norfolk and also parts of Wales. The British Geological Survey said the epicentre of the 5.3 magnitude quake was near Market Rasen in Lincolnshire. It was the biggest recorded example since one with a magnitude of 5.4 struck north Wales in 1984.

I feel lucky that I am unable to provide photographs of my room suffering the results of the quake. There are people in England who had a sleepless night, suffered injuries and their homes are affected. Me? I am fortunate enough to hop in the shower, eat breakfast and be on my merry way to central London to meet my classmates for an author's talk.

2 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Wow O!!!! I was thinking about you this morning when I first heard the news! Glad you're okay and suffered no damage!

Newfie Girl said...

Wow, I just got around to reading this... crazy stuff... you really need to come back to this side of the Atlantic soon!